Friday, July 25, 2008

Archer

Aim - shoot - Win. Aim - shoot - Win.

I have known great archers only by name - Arjunan, Karnan, Ekalayvan.
I have seen great shooters only on TV - in fact only Jaspal Rana

For the first time, I saw the action live - Bulls eye at every shot and the thumbrule was simple!

Aim - squirt - Eat. Aim - squirt - Eat.

Archer Fish!

When the caretaker of a fish farm at Langkawi stuck a moist bread piece on a wooden pole 2 ft above the water level, little did I anticipate what was to come.
I thought, the fish was going to jump up. I was wondering if it can do it without being knocked down by the pole.

I should say, I under-estimated this tiny fish(about the length of my palm). Suddenly a jet of water hit the bread piece with force making it fall into water.
I missed it the first time.. I didn't see the source.

The target was raised to 4 ft. We were all eyes looking at the fish. He moves a bit adjusts the angle, concentrates for a few seconds and squirts! Bulls eye again!

Now the target was raised to 6ft and perfect shot again. It was an amazing sight to watch this unique adaptation!

I was imagining Dhronacharya, a school of fish, and the following conversation

D'acharya : What do you see?

li'l clown fish : em.. people, wooden pole, em.. trees and..
baby shark : showing his teeth, fresh blood and flesh - people
archer fish : tiny white piece of bread

This youtube video says it all

3 comments:

b a l a j i said...

amazing stuff

Unknown said...

That was simply awesome. You could have made a trip to Singapore ? Sriram L

Yadhvi said...

Hey Sriram,
They had planned a Singapore trip...but it was my bad. I got a single entry VISA for Malaysia. It might have been a hassle coming back into Malaysia - so we reserved it for the next trip.
Archer fish was indeed awesome..what an adaptation!